im.pidgin.pidgin: 541a0e3980189093a325ec6d71224176b7f2ab5d

Daniel Atallah daniel.atallah at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 13:30:24 EST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 12:47 PM, Sean Egan <seanegan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2007 9:28 AM, Daniel Atallah <daniel.atallah at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm not a fan of this.  It is disconcerting to me to have the window
> > rearrange itself when I'm typing.
>
> A full 8 hours before a complaint! Longer than I expected! ;) Pushing
> at 2am Pacific probably helped that.
>
> We've already been doing this in the conversation window for a while
> now (but poorly). Our status box has been doing it longer.
> More-or-less every IM client to come out since iChat does this. Plus I
> have academic research [1] that says it's a good idea. :)

I guess I never noticed it because I keep the entry field unnecessarily
large :).  I do understand why it makes sense to do, but that doesn't make
it any less distracting.

I think "window re-arranging itself" is as much hyperbole as the
> "dancing widgets" were, but basically I did it this way because
> forcing auto-resizing was much easier than allowing fixing
> auto-resizing to co-exist with, and I got people to agree that the
> pane was actually kinda annoying.

I think what is bothering me the most is the jerkiness as the backlog is
resized.  I'm sure I'd get used to it, but it currently distracts me to the
point that I have to remember to continue typing.

> If there's a huge pushback (why was it again I haven't touched Pidgin
> in a while ;) ?) I'll see about restoring the pane and trying to get
> auto-resize to work properly with it.

I'm not sure what "restoring the pane" means.

-D