Finch (libpurple) & special characters

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Wed Nov 28 08:20:39 EST 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 10:29:55AM +0200, Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> > On 7/11/07, Luke Schierer <lschiere at pidgin.im> wrote:
> > > My 1th language is spanish, and whenever I want to write a ñ the program
> > > closes. The accented characters, plus, doesnt work.
> > > What can I do?, I wasnt able to find anything on the Pidgin homepage.
> >
> > What is the output of the "locale" command.  It should say something
> > like en_US.UTF-8 or es_ES.UTF-8.  If it does not have the "UTF-8" in it,
> > then that would be the most likely cause of the crash.
>
> Coming back to this old issue, I still seem to have this. I can't type
> "ä" or "ö" in Finch, basically preventing me of using Finnish
> properly. Using Ubuntu 7.10 and both GNOME Terminal and xterm, using
> fi_FI.UTF-8. It's also the same problem if I use LANG=C or
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8, or if I change the character set of the terminal
> from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-15.
>
> I tried also 2.3.0. Since there's no ticket about the issue, has
> someone encountered the problem and found out why it happens?
>
> -Timo

Using rxvt-unicode (also called urxvt), I hold control-shift and enter
in the unicode hex code point, such as e4 for ä, and finch accepts it
perfectly.  I do not know what is going on in your environment.  I do
know that xterm basically has no unicode support unless run with the -u
or -u8 (I forget which exactly) flag, and even then only limited
support.

luke