MSNP14 cannot reply offline messages

Chris Stafford gaimsubs at notak.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 22:47:51 EST 2007

Ethan Blanton wrote:
> notaktak at gmail.com spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> I think we could do with an MSNP14 target in the tracker to report bugs
>> against so we get a list of release blockers rather than just having a
>> feeling that it's 'a bit broken', which isn't moving anything along at
>> all. Just a thought, since there's no way I'm going to be able to work
>> on any of the code myself before February.
>>

> I would rather we did not just yet, because that will encourage people
> to use known-broken code that *interacts with public servers* on a
>

> Many users pooh-pooh the suggestion, but it really is at best common
> good manners, and at worst self-preservation, to *not* hit up public
> servers with code that is any more broken than we have to.

Generally speaking I agree, though that's more of a reason not to keep
P14 in trunk at all. In this case we are talking about connecting with
an almost-ready piece of code rather than a particularly dodgy protocol.
In addition the official client is forcing an upgrade to P13 at least
(MSN 7.5 will no longer connect, presumably as a result of the recent
critical buffer overflow), which means that at best the previous
protocols are being kept alive for the convenience of 3rd party clients,
and at worst they are liable to be shut off imminently. Either way,
without the target and relevant bug reports it will be more difficult to
reach an acceptable level of stability.

cheers
chris