Change the Green Online Icon to an Icon reflecting the IM Protocol?

Charliep charliep at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 03:12:03 EDT 2007

Kevin:

Sorry for my blunt assessment of your software. The present implementation
of the green / red / clock icons is STUPID. Because of this I will not be
using your software - UNLESS you fix this. Many of your other users
suggested that I should NOT use Pidgin if I don't like it! Thanks, I will
take your advice.

When I finally got to the part where you mentioned that the Protocol Icons
WERE available I almost wanted to take back some of my harsh criticism until
I checked out the implementation of the IM Protocol icons. Until I tried to
turn on the Protocol Icons. All in all, I think my cricism of the
implementation of this particular feature is spot on: STUPID!

1. I have stated why I believe these icons are stupid: They provide no
valuable information that could not be provided otherwise in a more
efficient manner (using less space) and they specifically leave out
information that is valuable to some users (although obviously NOT the
developers).

If you developers think that it is a good idea to have your colored / shaped
icons for the <5% of the population who are color blind that is great, but
you are completely inconsiderate of the user to insist that he be required
to use your icons when you could just as easily allow the user to turn them
off.

For the rest of the world that is NOt colorblind, these icons serve
absolutely NO PURPOSE that could not be accomplished by other means. Don't
believe me? Lets take a look at Trillian - what do they do? They use color
coded frames around the Avatar! along with symbols when the user is away.
Wow, simple brilliant idea.

AND your implementation of the IM Protocol icons is STUPID because you do
not include the status of the user in the IM Protocol Icon - you use one
icon for their IM Protocol status and another for the Online / Offline
status of the user. THIS IS STUPID. NOBODY except PIDGIN in the IM industry
does this!

Why do I get the feeling that you (or somebody on your team) is color blind?

2. It would be a good idea to include settings for these "SHOW" options in
the Pidgin -- Tools -- Preferences menu so that they are easier to find.
Leave them in both places if you like.

3. There is absolutely NO REASON to NOT provide the user with the option to
REPLACE the generic icons with IM Protocol icons.

> However we're not removing the dot/clock/paper/etc, it's a
> reliable, consistent status indicator used throughout the UI.

4. Your arbitrary decision to FORCE these STUPID icons on the rest of the
world and your refusal to even allow the user to turn them off is STUPID!

> Skinning results in an inconsistent user interface.  This is bad for
> users and harder to support.  This will never become a feature.

5. This is a STUPID statement. You are not a UI guru. You are a programmer.

Skinning is GOOD for users because sooner or later somebody with expertise
or just born talent will go and Skin your program and produce a user
interface that is more popular than anything you could have developed on
your own. Skinning allows the input of creativity from non-programmers and
expands the scope and the depth of the Pidgin team. You obviously don't want
help in this area.

Your argument about "harder to support" is total bullshit. Just include a
standard response to emails which reads: "Please confirm that you are using
the standard UI Skin. To check goto Tools -- Preferences -- Skins --
Standard UI. We only provide support for the standard UI Skin."

Wouldn't it be better to provide an easy way for people who ARE UI guru's to
build a Skin that enhances the value of your software?

6. The entire point of my criticism is that the Pidgin team today does not
include a UI guru. But when you have developers making decisions like "We
will always include our stupid icons" and "We will NEVER allow anybody to
skin our product" you immediately turn off ANYBODY who knows ANYTHING about
UI design.

> We do not ignore the wishes of users.  We ask them to provide us a
> good reason for their desires. If we are convinced something is justified

7. If you aren't convinced something is justified then you ignore it. Which
is a bad idea. And that is the whole point! Why should ANYBODY try to
convince somebody who INSISTS that their wrong / stupid decision is good /
smart? You damn yourself to eternal mediocrity by refusing to listen to the
masses who want to volunteer - but for your arrogance.

The best software is designed by users who can't program at all but KNOW /
study how the user wants a software to perform. The second best software
applications are designed by people who can think with both halves of their
brains and try to do the same thing. The WORST software programs are
designed by developers who build something for themselves and to hell with
the rest of the world. What is the point to write a book if nobody (or few
people) ever read it? That is why good authors get their books in front of
great editors. Your insistence to blow off people with suggestions in two
areas (Skins / Icons) will prevent you from getting the good editors which
could make your software more popular than ... Skype, MSN, AOL, etc.

RIP