Change the Green Online Icon to an Icon reflecting the IM Protocol?

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Oct 11 10:10:34 EDT 2007

Michael Rozdoba spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Kevin Stange wrote:
> > We did eventually add protocol icons back, for the record, because while
> > we believe you shouldn't need or want to depend on them, some people
> > insist that they do.  They're still off by default, but make sure you're
> > using a recent version of Pidgin and then go Buddies > Show > Protocol
> > Icons.
>
> Interesting. Kind of glad. Not as I have strong opinions over this
> particular issue but as I felt the bug tracker thread mentioned, painted
> the devs in a poor light, purely in terms of how the issue was handled.
> I like Pidgin & consequently am reassured to see it in good hands.

Frankly, I think that, in any fair observation, it painted the trolls
who demanded protocol icons in a fair light, and the developers as
saints with impossible patience.  :-P  We tried over and over to get a
*single* user to point out a good reason why protocol icons were
helpful, and we got precisely zero reasons.

All of the blind leeches who demanded features without giving a single
thing back to the community can be thankful that somewhere out there
was a user who had a desire for protocol icons and the gumption to
actually implement a clean and acceptable patch to reinsert them.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.