Web site page thought

Kevin Stange kevin at simguy.net
Thu Oct 11 04:23:01 EDT 2007

Going over the email from "Charliep" it's clear that he doesn't
understand open source very well.  This is a discussion we have had
countless times in the past with other users.  I was thinking that
perhaps we should add a page to the web site in the "About" section
which specifically deals with and explains some of these things:

- What is the GPL?
- What is open source?
- Why is pidgin open source?
- Why is pidgin licensed using the GPL?
- What are the "costs" of open source?
- What are the "benefits" of open source?
- Other statements and explanations of why users can't expect to
influence change merely by being vocal, why the project is primarily
developer and contributor driven, and how those who don't contribute
code can still help influence direction to some degree.
- Why our priorities won't always be exactly in line with the vocal
members of the user base.
- Why it is okay with us if you don't use Pidgin.

The idea would be to provide a clear and consistent explanation and
answer to users (that could be linked for anyone that brings it up) that
miss the difference between not caring about our users and having to
prioritize based upon those who are willing and able to participate in
development (for sanity, time, maintainability, etc).

I can write the text, or someone else can. :)

Any thoughts?

Kevin