Change the Green Online Icon to an Icon reflecting the IM Protocol?

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Oct 11 15:30:35 EDT 2007

Michael Rozdoba spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Ethan Blanton wrote:
> > Michael Rozdoba spake unto us the following wisdom:
> >> Would it be impolite of me to ask if most of the devs are roughly around
> >> the same age? Maybe I'm being judgemental but my guess would be you're
> >> young males, probably under 25. There seems to be quite a lot of
> >> aggression here, though maybe it's coincidence that I've just started
> >> reading the list when an emotive subject has come up.
> >
> > In fact, the developers span all ages and stations in life.  I find it
> > interesting that you feel that the *developers* are the angry and
> > aggressive party in this discussion...
>
> You seem to have inferred I believe the user input wasn't aggressive. I
> never said that. FWIW Some seemed perfectly reasonable with good points
> to make; some seemed extremely abusive.

Fair enough; aggression simply seems like a very much relative
property to me.  What is meek in one situation is overbearing in
another.  In response to our friend, here, I think the developer
further degeneration in check.

> > If you have not read the back story on this particular topic, then I
> > suggest you do so before you toss any insults into the ring.
>
> I read that one long thread on the bug tracker.
>
> What do you feel I've written that's insulting? I stated it seemed (to
> me) there was a lot of aggression around. That's a statement of fact
> about how I feel & wasn't phrased in an abusive manner.

Generally assertions of perceived age in conjunction with criticism
are at the very least intended to be a reprimand, if not an outright
insult.  (In fact, ironically, more times than not they are followed
up with assertions of various sexual orientations or preferences.  Go
figure.) If you did not intend this to be either a reprimand or a
condemnation, then I fail to understand what its purpose was.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.