Skinning WAS Change the Green Online Icon to an Icon reflecting the IM Protocol?

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Thu Oct 11 20:17:17 EDT 2007

I strongly agree that Adium provides wide-ranging theming
capabilities, not skinning capabilities, generally; skinning is
accomplished at a system level only by hacks such as Unsanity's
Shapeshifter, as there is no concept of a modular or configurable
window manager in Mac OS X.

I don't think there's any place for the Adium Contact List Color Theme
and Layout Xtras, which define a ton of parameters which the Pidgin
Contact List is simply not set up to do (nor would it want to do in
almost all cases).   Going through the other xtras, some avenues for
pretty straightforward customization are brought up which Adium's
users, at least, have found a lot of pleasure through which require
minimal UI preference addition/complication:

Emoticons: Highly relevant.  Just an XML file with some graphics
files, in a folder.  Pidgin currently has emoticon packs, right?
Sound Sets: Highly relevant. Again, an XML file with sound files
(typically MP3s or AACs - anything that Apple QuickTime can read is
technically allowed by the specification).
Status Icons: Highly relevant. As above.  The XML file allows
different icons to be specified for the tabs and the contact list.
Service Icons: Highly relevant. As above.
---
Menu Bar Icons: I guess these could be supported as replacements for
the Taskbar Icon seen in Windows (and perhaps in some window
managers?).  Barely relevant.
---
AppleScripts: These are primarily installable keyword triggers that
run an AppleScript, much like a perl script could be run.  Irrelevant
to anything not running on Mac OS X, so generally irrelevant to Pidgin.
Message Styles: CSS + HTML.  The most far-reaching of the
customizations available in Adium; if Pidgin were using an HTML view
to render messages, support would make a lot of sense.  Without that,
there's clearly no place for overlap or compatibility.
Dock Icons: Irrelevant for Pidgin
Plugins: Irrelevent for Pidgin.

-Evan