"unable to connect"

Bill Fassler bill.fassler at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 11:47:32 EDT 2007

Thanks Ethan.  I see now that you hit the nail right on the head.
uClinux does have an equivalent function vfork( ).  So after
changing all calls in glib and pidgin that use fork to vfork I get
further along.

Now that I understand the problem, that is half the battle and
I think I should take this discussion back to the thread
"porting finch to uClinux" which is where I believe it should be
now.....

Thanks,
Bill

Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im> wrote: Bill Fassler spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Sorry Gents, I am still finding my way around, but I found the "debug
> window" and opened it and tried again and at least I now have a
> small clue.  It says something along the lines that
> DNS:  Could not create child process for DNS; Function not
> implemented.

I am guessing that you are encountering trouble due to the
unavailability (indeed, the meaninglessness) of fork() on uClinux.
There is a thread-based DNS client implementation in Pidgin which may
or may not work better for you, depending on whether glib threads have
been ported to uclinux.

This might require some development effort on your part to get around.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.