Pidgin dns query issues (xmpp)

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Mon Oct 15 15:11:17 EDT 2007

(Who put us on nabble?  Why is it so crappy?)

Lantern spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Ethan Blanton-3 wrote:
> > Lantern spake unto us the following wisdom:
> >> 10.52.0.34: dns server (BIND9), mysql database, pidgin client
> >> 10.52.0.35: pidgin client, openfire jabber server
> >> 10.52.0.36: pidgin client
> >>
> >> On 34, I've set "example.com" to resolve to 10.52.0.34, and I've set
> >> the dns server on all three boxes to be 34 as well. Pinging
> >> "example.com" returns 34 on each box, and a small c program I've
> >> written resolves example.com to be 34 via the getaddrinfo function.
> >> However, I am having the following issue with pidgin:
> >
> >>Is your description here correct?  You claim that .34 is example.com,
> >>but that the openfire server is running on .35, and that XMPP
> >>connections to example.com correctly locate the openfire server.  Are
> >>you using SRV records?
>
> I'm not using SRV records right now; I'm simply using A records.
> example.com does indeed resolve to .34. The openfire server runs on
> .35, which remotely connects to the database on .34 (yeah, I know,
> really efficient :P). I'm trying to figure out whether my issue lies
> within pidgin or openfire.

So ... Openfire is running on .35, and you're telling Pidgin to
connect to openfire on .34, and it is not working?  Why did you think
this would work?  Is there more to this story?  I'm still confused.

Pidgin doesn't care where the openfire database is, it cares where the
openfire XMPP server is.  I don't know why registration is working, if
indeed it is.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.