im.pidgin.pidgin: 59ab2b78429c94d5d0fc77b1b7892accb524e2a4

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Tue Oct 16 10:02:47 EDT 2007

Quoting Sadrul Habib Chowdhury <imadil at gmail.com>:

> * Evan Schoenberg had this to say on [15 Oct 2007, 23:18:42 -0400]:
>>
> [snip]
>> Could we please make a policy of mentioning on devel at pidgin.im branches
>> like that?  I didn't know .next.minor existed, and if I had randomly done a
>> mtn ls its name wouldn't have told me anything about its purpose
>> (next.minor relative to what, exactly? perhaps  it was there before and I
>> never noticed it?).
>>

> The original change happened in im.pidgin.sadrul.currentmedia, and was
> announced immediately after it happened:
> http://pidgin.im/pipermail/devel/2007-September/003398.html

Ah, I remember that thread now.  Sorry I haven't reported back on
trying it out as you requested.  I'll take a look when I can.

> The introduction of a .next.minor branch was discussed over several days
> in devel at c.p.i, where most of the active developers happen to hang
> around.
If everybody but me is able to hang around on IRC, I certainly won't
make loud noises about a change in communications policy. I enjoy
being involved and get pleasure out of contributing, but I can't be
online often secondary to my schedule. I guess I just feel that a
one-liner email about plans like this would be appropriate to the
mailing list to ensure everyone has a chance to act accordingly.

> The point was to commit code that requires a minor version bump
> in this branch, either because it isn't quite ready to be included in a
> release, or because we don't want to bump the minor yet (perhaps because
> we want a bug-fix only release). rlaager has diligently kept the
> ChangeLog and ChangeLog.API files updated in the branch. I have just
> updated them to include the missing entries about current-media changes.

>>> 1
>>> I believe this bumps the minor? If that's the case, we can just merge
>>> .next.minor right now.

We could merge .next.minor, or I can disapprove the change to
pidgin.pidgin and make it on .next.minor, if it actually requires a
minor version bump... can you clarify why this bumps the minor,
though?  No public API has been changed; certainly the MSN code in
question is almost completely changed since 2.2.1.

-Evan