im.pidgin.pidgin: 8c43566a97228a4485773ba622f9695b325af8ae

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Tue Oct 16 12:42:18 EDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 03:00:35AM -0400, markdoliner at pidgin.im wrote:
<snip>
> Use gtk_window_present() instead of gtk_widget_show() when showing the
> file transfer dialog.  The causes the window to be raised if it's
> below other stuff.
>
> This function is called in two places
> 1. When the user clicks on Tools-->File Transfers in the buddy list.
>    This is the interaction I'm trying to improve.
> 2. When a file transfer is added to the dialog.  It seems like a good
>    idea to present the window when a file transfer is added to it...
>    but there may be scenarios where this is really really annoying.
>    If anyone thinks of any then feel free to revert this change
<snip>

I'm certain that 1 is fine, I'm less certain that 2 is, gtk_window_present
in many window managers will forcibly focus the window, stealing it from
whatever is currently active.

I never transfer files in pidgin so I don't know when 2 happens but are we
sure that it will only happen when people are going to be expecting it?
What about with plugins like auto-accept?

We have worked really hard to avoid grabbing focus when people didn't
explicitely ask for it, I wouldn't want us to add more of those for no
reason.

	-Etan