A few comments

Michael cwal at metalgecko.com
Tue Oct 16 22:30:15 EDT 2007

Ethan Blanton wrote:
> You can look at it as much as you want -- you just cannot compile it
> and link it with Pidgin.

That's what I figured.  So then I could in fact distribute the text file
as much as I wanted, provided I don't include .  And other people could
look at it and do what they wanted with it within the license of course.

So in effect you could distribute it, you just can't tell people to
compile it?  These rules seem sort of strange and confusing to me..

You mention that the plugin could not function without Pidgin.  True,
but the text file can.  I guess my question is, could this hypothetical
text file be given to others.  It seems that from what I quoted up there
that the answer is yes.

Since other people can get this text file, would the end user be in
violation of the GPL if they compiled it for their own use?  I think the
GPL is supposed to allow modifications however you see fit as long as
you don't redistribute them, and that's essentially what the end user
would be doing.

Honestly I just think it's awful that our society is so filled with
people willing to make a buck at the expense of others that we need to
have things like this, and that we need lawyers just to tell people what
is "right" and "wrong." (More like "legal" and "illegal," respectively)