Pidgin on Internet tablets (Was: Re: Acer to contact Pidgin)

Gabriel Schulhof nix at go-nix.ca
Sat Oct 20 07:21:52 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 20:14 -0400, Luke Schierer wrote:
> If the changes do not significantly impact every user, by all mans
> submit them as patches.  Particularly ones for libpurple.
Richard has looked over my branches, and he has determined some things
which are good for upstream. All the patches I have submitted so far are
relevant for Pidgin as a whole. Only the motivation behind them has been
to improve Pidgin on Internet tablets.

There are other patches which are tablet-specific. I have attempted to
reduce the impact they would have on Pidgin as a whole, were they to be
merged upstream. I have done so using configure switches and #defines in
the code. Nonetheless, Richard told me that they are not yet to be
merged upstream.

(When|If )ever you guys decide to start adding official support for
Internet tablets (so far, meaning mostly the use of the Hildon widget
set, and a few #ifdefs to reduce the value of things like
PIDGIN_HIG_CAT_SPACE and such, as well as hacks to add scrollbars to
dialogs that have lots of widgets), my branches will be ready.

As far as working on an im.pidgin.pidgin.??? branch, that's a matter of
infrastructure, I guess. I currently have a monotone server at
idefix.go-nix.ca which exposes all my branches. Richard knows more about
its structure.

Gabriel