Instantbird 0.1 released

Florian Quèze florian at instantbird.org
Mon Oct 22 04:38:11 EDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a reason Instantbird cannot use the existing configuration in
> .purple,

Yes, the profile is not stored in the same way.

or have an 'import wizard' (cp ~/.purple ~/.Instantbird) at first run?

We plan to create an import wizard but really, it's not only a 'cp' ;-).

  I downloaded and installed Instantbird, and I am impressed for a 0.1 app.
> I am curious though, and mean no offense when I ask:  When is Instantbird a
> better choice than pidgin?  (What are its advantages?)  It's certainly alot
> simpler, which would be good for novice users, but what else?

Before we release a 1.0 version, we don't expect it to have as many features
as pidgin does.
When it will be ready, the advantages should be: simpler, more extensible
(easily extensible), works on the 3 common OSes.

On 10/18/07, Florian Quèze <florian at instantbird.org> wrote:

> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I'm happy to announce the release of Instantbird 0.1.
> > http://www.instantbird.com/
> > Instantbird is an IM client that uses libpurple for the backend, and XUL
> > (Mozilla technology) for the UI.
> > The source code is available too.
> >
> > Please try it out. Any suggestion, comment, bug reports, patches etc.
> > are most welcome.
> >
> > --
> > Florian Quèze

Florian Quèze