Open Buddy list via single clicking the tray icon?

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Tue Oct 23 02:19:58 EDT 2007

Neillithan wrote:
> Okay.  The only thing I gathered here is that Pidgin is an imperfect
> messenger.  Neglecting such obvious problems like tray icon / buddy list
> opening behavior is such laziness.  Look, I appreciate the effort of
> volunteers to make Pidgin better, but getting all offended when somebody
> critiques your hard work is counter productive.  If Pidgin's community is
> going to be so hasty to reply with a lack of accuracy and negativity, with
> accusations of "whining" at the first sight of irratibility, (which in my
> case is WELL deserved) then that continues to show how open source geeks
> like yourself have such unattractive elitist attitudes.  I'm sick and tired
> of getting pounded by people who claim they are doing a good deed, but can't
> stand a bit of feedback, especially when it has to be repeated and reworded
> by an innocent who's just trying to get some answers.

Your first reaction to "it already does this" was to be obnoxious and
condescending.  All of the responders happened to use Linux and happened
to already have this behavior.  At no point did you mention you were
using the Windows version of Pidgin and you clearly didn't visit the bug
tracker to see if this issue was already reported.  You can see from the
bug tracker, if you look at the links Daniel provided, that this issue
is acknowledged and we'll be happy to accept contributions toward making
the behavior consistent with the Linux version.

> A forum is a place to discuss and get answers, not get bashed and accused of
> "whining" or anything of the sort.  It's not my job to search every obscure
> bug tracker, forum, search engine for the perfect wording of the question I
> need to ask.  If you don't like it, then "you" need to stop whining.

You are the one who started the bashing by flaming people for being too
dense to understand your words, and it's YOUR fault this thread turned
hostile.  If you had simply stated you were using Windows, it's likely I
or Daniel would have been one the first responders and you would have
gotten an accurate response, and you wouldn't have angered anyone.  I
can understand that you were confused by the fact that everyone else was
claiming this worked as intended for them, but rather than elaborate on
your environment you challenged other people's intelligence.  That's
just uncalled for.

Kevin