Open Buddy list via single clicking the tray icon?

Casey Harkins caseyharkins at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 10:12:13 EDT 2007

Neillithan wrote:
> Hello, is there a plugin for pidgin that will allow me to click the Pidgin
> tray icon one time to bring the buddy list up?

I know Daniel already posted these first two later in this thread, but
I'll repeat them here with some comments.

http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/1458

This ticket addresses the single-click vs. double-click (linux vs.
windows). The fix here is trivial, though it'll be a change in behavior
that might prompt some reaction from our windows users. However, as
noted in that ticket, the Vista guidelines seem to support the notion of
using a single-click. As far as different actions for single-click and
double-click (also mentioned in the ticket), this is probably a bad idea
since it will not be possible if/when we switch to GtkStatusIcon on
win32. I'll go ahead and make this change from double-click to
single-click for 2.3.0.

http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/1915

Gtk+ on windows has lots of weird window event and focus issues. These
are mostly out of our control (unless one of us decides to dig in to the
Gdk win32 stuff and submit patches upstream). You may or may not be
hitting this issue.

> Also, is there a plugin that will bring the buddy list to the front even if
> pidgin is already open, but unfocused?  Meaning, if Pidgin is behind other
> windows, instead of having the tray icon click minimize the Pidgin window
> because Pidgin is open, it should bring Pidgin in front of all of my other
> windows.

https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/2740

For some reason we are only raising the buddy list if its fully
obscured, otherwise we hide/unhide. I'm not sure why this is and would
be willing to change this for 2.3.0 as well unless someone can thing of
a good reason not to. The only cases I can come up with are having your
buddy list visible next to another window and deciding you want to hide
it through the tray icon. In this case though, it should be just as easy
to close the buddy list window itself.

-casey