Open Buddy list via single clicking the tray icon?

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Tue Oct 23 17:25:12 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 15:38 -0500, Andrew Roeder wrote:
> I still think we need a better community outlet.  Questions like this
> one and tons of others could/should be answered without any of them
> ever making it into the devel list, unless of course it is a
> discussion of "How to fix/Can we fix bug #".
>
> I think it is safe to say IRC is the only other outlet?  Not the best
> form either, any suggestions or ideas that have been previously
> brought up for such outside of a form of forums or wiki?

There's a wiki on developer.pidgin.im, there's also a forum on SF. Some
of us don't like forums because most forums' interfaces aren't
convenient to use. I personally don't care.

> Yes, in a perfect world, all knowledge would be found on the trac and
> all users would go there to find their answers, I'm sure we have
> plenty of users like myself who do not contribute patches but would be
> happy to help in other areas of Pidgin.

While you may be perfectly knowledgeable to answer random questions that
users ask, when you have an open forum it's hard to prevent random
people giving incorrect answers. We can consider giving others some kind
of "moderator" status (which isn't possible with SF forum), but that's a
bit of a chicken-and-egg problem: we don't have enough man power and
will to moderate on our own, and we don't know who to dedicate the work
to until there's a way for them to show that they are able to handle the
job. Judging from the SF forum, no one outside of the team have shown
that they are up to the task yet.

-khc