Open Buddy list via single clicking the tray icon?

Andrew Roeder correnthean at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 18:42:38 EDT 2007

On 10/23/07, Ka-Hing Cheung <khc at hxbc.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 15:38 -0500, Andrew Roeder wrote:
> There's a wiki on developer.pidgin.im, there's also a forum on SF. Some
> of us don't like forums because most forums' interfaces aren't
> convenient to use. I personally don't care.

Personally I think the SF forums have fallen completely out of being a
knowledgeable source of information for any project, not just pidgin.

> While you may be perfectly knowledgeable to answer random questions that
> users ask, when you have an open forum it's hard to prevent random
> people giving incorrect answers. We can consider giving others some kind
> of "moderator" status (which isn't possible with SF forum), but that's a
> bit of a chicken-and-egg problem: we don't have enough man power and
> will to moderate on our own, and we don't know who to dedicate the work
> to until there's a way for them to show that they are able to handle the
> job. Judging from the SF forum, no one outside of the team have shown
> that they are up to the task yet.
>
> -khc

Of course no user will be as knowledgeable as the developers
themselves.  But personally the best "support" I've seen is from the
gentoo forums, typically you don't see the developers restating
themselves or their decisions, and simple questions such as
"installation" are fairly commonplace and answered by users.

On 10/23/07, Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im>
>I trust that you really *can* tell how unreasonable his email was, and
>have simply chosen not to touch upon that in this response.

Yes, of course I was not referring to this specific user, but I from
the moment I saw his message I was hoping for an immediate. "That is a
winpidgin specific issue with gtk" response, which would have just let
him place his own foot in his mouth, with little or no more problem.

Anyway, point being, is this current method optimal or could there be
a more efficient way of handling the "pidgin community"?