Open Buddy list via single clicking the tray icon?

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Tue Oct 23 20:44:41 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 17:42 -0500, Andrew Roeder wrote:
> Of course no user will be as knowledgeable as the developers
> themselves.

To be honest, it really depends on the situation. I don't want to draw a
needless users vs. developers distinction here. If someone is being
helpful, that's greatly appreciated.

> But personally the best "support" I've seen is from the
> gentoo forums, typically you don't see the developers restating
> themselves or their decisions, and simple questions such as
> "installation" are fairly commonplace and answered by users.

You're certainly welcome to answer questions here and/or subscribe to
support at pidgin.im and do the same. We would definitely welcome that.

> Anyway, point being, is this current method optimal or could there be
> a more efficient way of handling the "pidgin community"?

The best way to help out would be to jump in and start answering
questions where you can. If you give the wrong answer, someone will let
you know. Looking at this current case, my mistake was pointed out very
quickly and I corrected myself here to avoid giving the wrong impression
to people now or in the future through the archives. Additionally, my
Linux-specific answers were quickly extended with the Windows-specific
information that the user was actually looking for.

So, I would encourage you to try to answer questions to the best of your
ability. If you're not positive about an answer, I think it's okay to
take a stab at it. I don't think one should wildly speculate, but I'm
sure you already know that. ;)

Richard