Ofline message flag

Jorge Villaseñor salinasv at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 17:04:43 EDT 2007

On 9/8/07, Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 13:30 -0700, Ka-Hing Cheung wrote:
> > I think Jorge is saying that showing the full date is not enough clue
> > that the message is an offline message. What about something like:
>
> If users are too stupid to figure it out, who cares?

stupid != lazy to read the exact date and hour of all messages

> This same "problem" would exist with any other protocol which supports
> offline messaging and we have more than one of those already and I
> haven't heard of any complaints about our UI behavior there.
>
> In any case, this isn't an issue for the MSNP14 branch.

this was over MSNP14 because MSN is one of the protocols I use and in
P14 because is there where I find this. but is not specific.

> > "Buddy" sent you these messages while you were offline:
> > msg1
> > msg2
> > <hr>
> >
> > When gtkconv sees the first non-offline message, it will draw a <hr> to
> > separate those from offline messages. We can go more fancy when Sean's
> > renderer stuff is ready, but this seems good for now.
>
> This isn't a bad idea, especially if I stipulate your initial premise.
> However, I can't really do that. A flood of messages comes in with old
> timestamps immediately after you login... how would any reasonable
> person interpret those as current messages?

just think about click "Connect" and your boss call you to a meeting
or something. You have left your computer more than 15 minutes, you
come back and see a bunch of message from different people, some of
them was offline messages but some others are normal IM. Do you really
want to read all the timestamp of the messages? or only look at the
gtkconv and say "oh this is offline and this is not"  I like the
second one =P