Ofline message flag

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sat Sep 8 16:52:22 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 13:30 -0700, Ka-Hing Cheung wrote:
> I think Jorge is saying that showing the full date is not enough clue
> that the message is an offline message. What about something like:

If users are too stupid to figure it out, who cares?

This same "problem" would exist with any other protocol which supports
offline messaging and we have more than one of those already and I
haven't heard of any complaints about our UI behavior there.

In any case, this isn't an issue for the MSNP14 branch.

> "Buddy" sent you these messages while you were offline:
> msg1
> msg2
> <hr>
>
> When gtkconv sees the first non-offline message, it will draw a <hr> to
> separate those from offline messages. We can go more fancy when Sean's
> renderer stuff is ready, but this seems good for now.

This isn't a bad idea, especially if I stipulate your initial premise.
However, I can't really do that. A flood of messages comes in with old
timestamps immediately after you login... how would any reasonable
person interpret those as current messages?

Richard