XMPP vCard inconsistency

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue Sep 11 00:18:11 EDT 2007

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:46:27 +0300, Georgi Kirilov wrote
> I think the fields names might have been swapped accidentally.
> Also there are some mismatches between the search form, the results
> list and the setinfo dialogs - some fields are called differently,
> and some are missing from one of the three dialogs - e.g. there is
> no "Name" and "Middle Name" in the vCard dialog.

So here's what's happening.  Pidgin's Set User Info/Edit Your vCard dialog
uses the field names listed in the XMPP vCard XEP
(http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0054.html).  We're missing a few of the
fields listed (like 'middle name'), but we have most of them.

For the search dialog and the search results, there are two ways to handle this:

1. The standard way.  Pidgin uses the fields listed in the XMPP search XEP
(http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0055.html).  For some reason these field
names differ from the ones in the vCard XEP.  Pidgin uses the id names of the
various input boxes here ("First Name" and "Last Name") when we should
probably use the same strings as the set info dialog ("Given Name" and "Family
Name").

2. The fancy way.  The directory server sends Pidgin the list of fields that
can be searched, and Pidgin shows these to you.  You search some stuff, then
the server returns the results to you and again tells you the column names and
what data should be displayed in each one.

I've been testing with users.jabber.org which seems to be using the standard
method, and which seems to work perfectly.  I'm guessing the server you're
using uses the new method.

What directory server are you searching?  You can open Pidgin's debug window
then perform a search and it will print out if it's using the standard method
("old-skool") or the fancy method ("new-skool").  If it's using the fancy
method it's possible that the bug is in the Jabber server you're searching.
But it's also possible it's a bug Pidgin.  Please let me know the directory
server and I'll play around with it.

-Mark