XMPP vCard inconsistency

Georgi Kirilov gkirilov at mbox.contact.bg
Mon Sep 10 13:46:27 EDT 2007

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 00:20:10 -0500
"Mark Doliner" <mark at kingant.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:47:38 +0300, goyko wrote
> > Hi,
> > I just noticed something that might be a bug.
> > I made a vCard for my jabber account, and tried to find myself in the
> > JUD, but what I have entered for "Family Name" showed as "Name" in
> > the Search Results, also "Given Name" showed as "Middle Name". The "City"
> > in the results is named "Locality" in the vCard dialog.
> > It's a bit confusing, is this intentional?

> I wasn't actually able to make myself show up in search

Yes, you can't find yourself in the JUD, if you request all users (i.e. with blank fields in the "Search for Users" dialog. However, if you fill some field(s) that match your vCard, pidgin will show your account.

> What client did you use to set your vCard?

I used pidgin itself - "Set User Info"

> Could this possibly be an error in the translation you're using?

I don't believe it's a translation error, I use pidgin without any localization. My /usr/share/locale/ contains only empty subdirs. I clean it myself. Don't ask me why :-)

I think the fields names might have been swapped accidentally.
Also there are some mismatches between the search form, the results list and the setinfo dialogs - some fields are called differently, and some are missing from one of the three dialogs - e.g. there is no "Name" and "Middle Name" in the vCard dialog.