Skype Plugin

Evan Schoenberg evands at pidgin.im
Thu Sep 13 23:25:17 EDT 2007

On Sep 13, 2007, at 10:58 PM, Eion Robb wrote:

> I'm eyeing up the bounty at http://trac.adiumx.com/wiki/Bounties.  Not
> sure if my plugin meets the criteria tho :)

I welcome corrections from someone with more legal accumen, but as a
first-pass thought: I don't think the Skype API can be used in a
program licensed under the GPL (and possibly not under any open source
license).  It requires agreement to the Skype End User Agreement by
the utilizing party, which is claimed to be non-transferrable / non-
sublicensable, but the final code would need to be freely transferrable.

That said, you could certainly still distribute your own plugin at
your own risk and discuss the bounty with the parties who are offering
it. (Note that the bounty in question has been offered up by users in
an Adium Trac ticket, not by the project itself or by anyone
affiliated with it).

-Evan