ticket status report

Zachary West zacwest at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 12:49:22 EDT 2007

On 9/15/07, Luke Schierer <lschiere at pidgin.im> wrote:

> While I agree that we should not close otherwise valid defects, I think
> we *should* close enhancement requests that non of us want to put on a
> personal todo list.  Having it open creates the false impression that we
> are still considering writing it, versus wanting to see a patch before
> we will consider it.  Plus having it open generates more tickets, and
> thus makes it harder for a user to avoid submitting a duplicate.

The way we (in the Adium project) have been handling "well, it's nice and
all, but there's no way we want to do it at the moment.." is to throw them
in a "Good idea for 'later'" milestone. It is a good place for new people
(in terms of patch writers) to check out possibly easy enhancements, as well
as a way to take non-milestoned tickets out of the ambiguous pool. In
general, it's a pretty good place for tickets to go to die.

It also helps to create (and we've been pretty bad about watching these) a
"Needs dev review" and "Needs feedback from users". Being able to throw
"pending" (which will auto-close after 1 week with no response) helps to
filter out a lot of the tickets people aimlessly file.

Zac West