Patches for pidgin-2.2.0 on RHEL4

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Mon Sep 17 13:46:32 EDT 2007

Well done on figuring out one of the reasons why RPMs are not available
yet ;-)

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 19:18 +0200, Zvi Har'El wrote:
> pidig-2.2.0 has a couple of new programs in the plugins directory,
> namely, helloworld.c and noify_example.c. However, these programs do
> not include the header file internal.h, which defines the symbol
> G_GNUC_NULL_TERMINATED, a definition which is needed for older
> versions of glib (as mine - I am using RHEL4, which has
> glib2-2.4.7-1). Thus, they fail to compile, and the whole build
> fails.

John addressed this properly for 2.2.1, for the 2.2.0 RPMs I am doing
the same as you (#include "internal.h") to get past the compile stage,
as they are not actually packaged I didn't care too much for the correct
solution.

> Another patch needed was due to a change of the file pidgin/pidgin.h,
> which made the inclusion of gdk/gdkx.h conditionally on
>

> #ifdef GDK_WINDOWING_X11 instead of #ifndef _WIN32. Since nothing
> seemed to define the former symbol in my configuration, the
> compilation of pidgin/gtkutils.c, which needs that gdk header file,
> failed. I attach another patch which fixed the problem.

GDK_WINDOWING_X11 is defined in /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include/gdkconfig.h (or
in lib64 on x86_64). The correct fix is to include gtk.h before testing
for GDK_WINDOWING_X11 - this is included for 2.2.1 and available here:
http://nosnilmot.com/patches/pidgin-2.2.0-gtkx.patch

> Finally , some linux distributions (like mine, RHEL4),  doesn't have a
> x11.pc file, and starting at pidgin-2.2.0, it is used to check for X
> support. I attach the file I created for that and put
> in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig, but I suppose it is better to have a
> fallback cheking method, like the one used in pidgin-2.1.1
> configuration.

I believe I have fixed this properly for pidgin 2.2.1 and, because
configure is a generated file and patching it is not straight forward,
included a hacky patch in the RPMs
(http://nosnilmot.com/patches/pidgin-2.2.0-with_x.patch)

Regards,

Stu.