GSOC : A Protocol Plugin Which Sends SMS Message via Your Cell Phone

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue Apr 1 10:49:50 EDT 2008

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:32:29 +0800 (CST), 王树栋 wrote
>    I want to be a candidate of the project : A Protocol Plugin Which
> Sends SMS Message via Your Cell Phone of GSOC.
>
> I got some problems about the project,If anyone kown the answer ,
> please answer me! I appreciate it!
>
> 1) about the mentor.should i find a mentor now,or just submit my
>  application  .after the  discussion ,the commitee will assign me one?

Usually people just submit their applications and we assign mentors later.
But if you're already working with someone from the Pidgin team let us know
and we can make sure they're assigned as the mentor.

> 2) I hava some program experience about SMS. I don't know how to
> write my application, even though I know how to finish it.

We don't really expect people to be familiar with the libpurple source code,
but being able to write C code is usually pretty important.  I'd try to list
your SMS experience on your application, and if you think your skills are
lacking in some area then start learning stuff now.

> 3) Besides ,If I have anyideas about the project ,whom should I
> communicate  with?

This mailing list is probably the best place.  You could also try asking
people in the IRC channel #pidgin on irc.freenode.net.

-Mark