need help with pidgin perl plugin

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue Apr 1 11:01:30 EDT 2008

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 21:42:57 +0800, Silent wrote
> I have read the documents on "perl-howto.html",
> but still not very clear on writing perl plugin,
>
> I want to get all user and group list with my account, (I just use pidgin
> with one account and on protocol)
> could anyone give me an example ?

This might be something that's more appropriate to do using D-Bus.  D-Bus can
be used to fetch information from Pidgin, or send an IM, or change a setting
(I think... I've never actually used it myself).  Whereas perl plugins are
loaded by Pidgin and continue running, interacting with the user's session.

I guess using D-Bus might be more complicated.  I think you can access D-Bus
from perl, but I've never tried.  There is a Python example in Pidgin's source
tree, libpurple/plugins/dbus-buddyicons-example.py

-Mark