need help with pidgin perl plugin

Shreevatsa R shreevatsa at cmi.ac.in
Wed Apr 2 00:31:52 EDT 2008

* Quoting Mark Doliner who at 2008-04-01 10:01:30-0500 (Tue) wrote
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 21:42:57 +0800, Silent wrote
> > I have read the documents on "perl-howto.html",
> > but still not very clear on writing perl plugin,
> >
> > I want to get all user and group list with my account, (I just use pidgin
> > with one account and on protocol)
> > could anyone give me an example ?
>
> This might be something that's more appropriate to do using D-Bus.  D-Bus can
> be used to fetch information from Pidgin, or send an IM, or change a setting
> (I think... I've never actually used it myself).  Whereas perl plugins are
> loaded by Pidgin and continue running, interacting with the user's session.
>
> I guess using D-Bus might be more complicated.  I think you can access D-Bus
> from perl, but I've never tried.  There is a Python example in Pidgin's source
> tree, libpurple/plugins/dbus-buddyicons-example.py

There is also a hand-holding D-Bus Howto at http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/DbusHowto
D-Bus can be accessed from Perl, see
http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/Net-DBus-0.33.6/lib/Net/DBus.pm

I think using D-Bus is actually slightly easier for simple things,
although there are parts of the API you can only use through a real
plugin.

--
Shreevatsa R