AIM screen-name linking

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Wed Apr 2 16:19:17 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 08:34:49PM -0800, q10 wrote:
> Hello:
>
> At the present, is AIM screen-name linking available in Pidgin?  Given a
> screen name that is already linked to another one, can the second screen
> name's buddy list be shown too without signing on to the second account?

As Ankit says I think linked screen names are just the official clients
way of allowing you to be signed on to more than one account at a time,
assuming that is the case just add all the accounts to pidgin normally and
you have the same effect.

> Is there a way to combine same sn's of buddies from different accounts of
> the same protocol, particularly AIM?

I'm assuming you mean you only want to see one buddy list entry for your
friend despite having them on more than one accounts buddy list (and
possible despite their having multiple screen names) in which case you
want to right-click and Expand a buddy and drop the duplicates inside the
contact.

> For your website, is it okay to have a page that links to all other
> externally developed Pidgin protocols, or provides the packages for
> installation as a convenience?

The wiki already has such a page,
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins (which is linked from
the main page).