trouble building pidgin 2.4.0

Jeff Smith jsmith at robotronics.com
Thu Apr 3 19:08:30 EDT 2008

On Monday 31 March 2008 20:01, Stu Tomlinson wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 09:42 -0600, Jeff Smith wrote:
> > Linux OS is SUSE 10.0 using suse and packman rpm repositories
> > Installing Pidgin 2.4.0
> >
> > I thought I finally got requirements to build 2.4.0 with desired
> > components. I had a package of gtkspell for SUSE that did not
> > include any way to be detected by configure script. I installed
> > that from source. It wasn't enabling GStreamer, which packaged
> > version was also too old (0.8.11) and not compatible. I got
> > 0.10.17 from another rpm repository.
> >
> > The problem I have now has to do with D-Bus (suse package
> > dbus-1-0.35.2-8). Do I need a newer version? It said it was good,
> > but `make` has error:
>
> I think dbus_bus_release_name was added for D-Bus 0.60 and
> unfortunately we didn't notice our use of this and update our
> configure script checking accordingly. If you don't need dbus
> functionality you can use "./configure --disable-dbus" when
> building Pidgin to get past this.
>
> Regards,
>

> Stu.

Thank you, I decided to build the latest release of D-Bus (1.1.20) so
I can try development. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience
in mix-n-match lib versions on the system. The early release
(dbus-1-0.35.2-8) is a dependancy in the system, installed in '/usr'.
I installed the new version from tarball, in '/usr/local'.

Now I think pidgin is still detecting dbus in '/usr' first, so how is
the best way to direct ./configure to look first in '/usr/local', or
maybe a switch specifically to give the path to that location of
dbus?