trouble building pidgin 2.4.0

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Thu Apr 3 20:25:19 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 17:08 -0600, Jeff Smith wrote:
> Thank you, I decided to build the latest release of D-Bus (1.1.20) so
> I can try development. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience
> in mix-n-match lib versions on the system. The early release
> (dbus-1-0.35.2-8) is a dependancy in the system, installed in '/usr'.
> I installed the new version from tarball, in '/usr/local'.
>
> Now I think pidgin is still detecting dbus in '/usr' first, so how is
> the best way to direct ./configure to look first in '/usr/local', or
> maybe a switch specifically to give the path to that location of
> dbus?

Mixing system provided D-Bus and self-compiled D-Bus is almost certainly
a bad idea and will likely only result in breakage. The best I can
suggest you try if you really need D-Bus support for Pidgin/libpurple is
upgrading your system provided D-Bus by rebuilding packages for your
distribution, but even this is likely to be risky given how key D-Bus
has become in modern distros.

I'm not particularly familiar with SuSE, is there a more recent version
of it you could upgrade to that might include a newer D-Bus and
everything integrated to work with it already?

Regards,

Stu.