trouble building pidgin 2.4.0

Jeff Smith jsmith at robotronics.com
Fri Apr 4 10:48:02 EDT 2008

Stu Tomlinson wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 17:08 -0600, Jeff Smith wrote:
>
>> Thank you, I decided to build the latest release of D-Bus (1.1.20) so
>> I can try development. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience
>> in mix-n-match lib versions on the system. The early release
>> (dbus-1-0.35.2-8) is a dependancy in the system, installed in '/usr'.
>> I installed the new version from tarball, in '/usr/local'.
>>
>> Now I think pidgin is still detecting dbus in '/usr' first, so how is
>> the best way to direct ./configure to look first in '/usr/local', or
>> maybe a switch specifically to give the path to that location of
>> dbus?
>>

> Mixing system provided D-Bus and self-compiled D-Bus is almost certainly
> a bad idea and will likely only result in breakage. The best I can
> suggest you try if you really need D-Bus support for Pidgin/libpurple is
> upgrading your system provided D-Bus by rebuilding packages for your
> distribution, but even this is likely to be risky given how key D-Bus
> has become in modern distros.
>
> I'm not particularly familiar with SuSE, is there a more recent version
> of it you could upgrade to that might include a newer D-Bus and
> everything integrated to work with it already?
>
> Regards,
>

> Stu.

Oh, yeah, I admit that I am only starting to get familiar with dbus.
Perhaps with this SUSE 10.0 it would be best that I either avoid using
it with this installation of pidgin, or take a test run with a newer
dbus from source by forcing a removal of the suse version. I would work
in single user runlevel to start out. Sorry I realize this get's
off-topic from pidgin itself.

I want to learn stuff by doing these things but I have never tried hard
enough to learn about manually updating an rpm from source not already
in rpm form. I guess because by nature I am more of a DIY man.