im.pidgin.pidgin: 40eafa8cd448e1729d79513e98ab2854e3589e69

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Sat Apr 12 13:10:31 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 12:50 -0400, John Bailey wrote:
> Stu Tomlinson wrote:
> > I disagree with dropping gevolution by default. At least Fedora,
> > Mandriva, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Debian and OpenSolaris build with it enabled
> > (ie: have the relevant BuildRequires or equivalent). It's not too hard
> > for people building from source to add --disable-gevolution if they
> > don't need it (and ./configure even tells them they can do this!)
>
> Conversely, it wouldn't kill packagers to have to add one more argument to the
> configure command.  This plugin most certainly should not be part of the
> 'pidgin' package on any distribution; instead it should be a separate package.

No, it wouldn't kill them, but I'd guess if we make it disabled by
default the functionality will be dropped accidentally at least
somewhere.

How distributions package the gevolution plugin is completely irrelevant
to this discussion.

And I sent my earlier email before I intended to, I'd meant to comment
on:

> all we ever hear about it is the bug reports it generates

If we use that argument, as most of the feedback we get on anything is
about bug reports, we should probably disable building pidgin and finch
by default too :-)

I couldn't actually find many gevolution bug reports though. I agree
there are *some*, but not a vast quantity.

Regards,

Stu.