libpurple + dbus - pidgin

Anil Gupta 800pbx2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 15:26:14 EDT 2008

Hello,

We have a fairly big userbase of mobile IM users and I am trying to use
libpurple instead of other opensource projects we used before. Kudos for all
who maintained and developed Pidgin to this stage.

Our server uses java and I understand that libpurple can be used in
conjunction with dbus support. Since this is a server component and we run
on production boxes, we do not install xwin or gnome environs. My questions
to the community

a) Is there any work done using pidgin, dbus and java before?

b) Can I use dbus with only libpurple without pidgin ui? I used
--disable-gtkui to skip pidgin as I was interested only in libpurple. But I
wasnt sure how pidgin can be used for events generation. The howto explains
that pidgin when loading uses the dbus address to listen and send events.

c) How scalable in pidgin? We have over 15k users who would like to get
connected. We do not mind scaling by adding boxes but does pidgin support
scaling vertically? Any tips on this would be appreciated.

d) I hear that pidgin is a single thread approach for the main. What happens
if the thread dies? Is there a recovery mechanism? Any scripts to restart
pidgin to the previous state if it disconnects with be handy.

d) Any scalability tips in using dbus?

e) Can I add accounts on fly using dbus?

f) We used RMI to run different plugins (especially yahoo and aim) on other
boxes as one culprit will not get the entire server down. It was also
important for load distribution. Is there any similar work on this?

g) For load distrbution, I think I should be able to use multiple instances
of pidgin tied to different dbus addresses and let the main server manage
the distribution of connection to various pidgin instances. Can multiple
instances of pidgin run on the same box? Is the approach correct?

Thanks.

- Anil