Memory usage

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 05:49:10 EDT 2008

2008/4/25, Phil Hannent <phil at hannent.co.uk>:
> Note: Often replies are taken as hostile, I mean nothing of the sort and am
> just engaging your questions to see what you think of my point of view.
>
>  Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>
> > I'm mostly happy user of pidgin for quite some time (even thought
> > centerim is occasionally needed when pidgin starts to crash)
> >
>  Is this crash a known bug of which you are speaking about?

Few weeks ago it's been crashing with some ICQ chats - but this bug
was already resolved - so no crashing at this moment .

>  I do not personally see a problem.  The binaries on my PC total over 16MB,
> while you may only have icq and irc buddies I would expect you have the
> possibility, at a moments notice, to add MSN, AOL, Jabber contacts to name a
> few.  Plus there are images, windows, logs, plugins and connects.
>
>  I have a 2GB good desktop machine so 16MB is roughly 0.8% of my total RAM
> usage.

Sure - the problem is - not everyone has those 2GB - Linux should work
well even on the low mem configuration. Also it looks to me, that
every developer of Gnome has the same view of the world as you do -
which actually result in the fact that every tiny applet takes 10-20MB
of RAM - thus after the boot 0.5GB of RAM is taken by applications,
which used to take 200KB in total on Amiga and were doing far more
work at that good old time ;)
And pidgin with its used RAM starts to rival firefox ;)

BTW I also have 2GB of RAM - but as I do run several qemu guest at the
same time and do a lot of disk operations - the memory is still
somewhat important for me...

Zdenek