A blog about someones first time with a Linux desktop which mentions Pidgin

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Wed Apr 30 17:47:55 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 15:10 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> [...]
> I also don't understand why clicking on the X button moves Pidgin to
> the notification area. It should "close" Pidgin.

I don't agree with that. The X button does close the Pidgin window; the
notification icon exists independently of the window. In other words:
the X button doesn't "move" the Pidgin window into the notification area
or anything like that, since the notification icon is there regardlessly
of whether there currently is a Pidgin window open. The only problem is
that a user may not have noticed that the notification icon exists. I
think it would be kind of weird to assume that the X button should "shut
down the program" or something like that -- after all, it doesn't do
that for the conversation windows.

Just my two cents.

Fredrik Tolf