XMPP, Connect Server, and SRV

Andreas Monitzer pidgin at monitzer.com
Fri Aug 8 15:26:03 EDT 2008

On Aug 08, 2008, at 19:03, Evan Schoenberg wrote:

> I've been asked to produce a plugin similar to the Google Talk
> service, an XMPP account type with some values prefilled. The service
> allows JIDs as arbitrary email addresses - which, upon further
> consideration, I think may be the real problem. Should an XMPP service
> allow clients whose domains don't match the server, e.g.
> evan at adiumx.com connecting via an XMPP server on pidgin.im?

If the read domain name isn't part of the jid (like in evan%40adiumx.com at pidgin.im
), the system does not use valid XMPP, and thus I don't quite see why
the XMPP plugin should support that.

Of course, you could implement another plugin that does an SRV lookup
first, and then passes the result as the host to connect to to the
regular libpurple xmpp implementation.

andy