Regarding porting Pidgin to Android?

Layne Bernardo retnuh66 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 00:51:30 EST 2008

I was wondering if there were any plans to port pidgin to the Android mobile
OS (based on Linux) being developed by Google. The only phone using this
currently is the  T-mobile G1. I think pidgin ported to this would be
successful, and if there are no current plans to port it, I would like to
suggest that you consider trying to as there are few IM clients on it, and
the few that are all have some form of crippling problem, such as not being
free or not saving account information. The built in IM client will not work
on non T-mobile networks, such as AT&T, which I and many others have
jailbroken their phones to use. The built in one also does not support as
many protocols as pidgin.
One setback however, is that I believe that android apps are coded in Java.
Please give it some thought!