New homepage under testing

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Fri Dec 12 11:12:43 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 01:36:19AM -0800, Casey Ho wrote:
> Just a heads up for everyone- I just pushed a new version of the
> homepage to www.pidgin.im.
>
> It's currently being displayed as part of a Google Website Optimizer
> test, so you may OR may not see this page.  More importantly, please
> refrain from making any edits to index.php or home.php for the next
> several days (in order to keep the test data accurate).  Of course,
> comments/suggestions are welcome.
>
> I'd also like to thank Julian Harris, who designed the new layout on
> behalf of the Google Website Optimizer team.  He'll be helping by
> making improvements and also configuring the tests to see what works
> and what doesn't.
>
> -Casey

Given that the new page is so vastly different than the current page, in
everything from layout, to color scheme, to font, to presented
information, to organization. What exactly are we expecting to be able to
learn from this(presumably A/B, the pages are static right?) testing? How
are we going to to be able to tell if any specific change was good or bad?

    -Etan