Patch for XMPP registration

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Sun Dec 14 11:56:42 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 04:38:23PM +0100, niess at uni-potsdam.de wrote:
> Hi,
> I've added a small patch fixing the problem with the user account
> registration on openfire servers (ticket 6635).
> I would appreciate if it will be included in the next releases.
>
> Best regards
> Günther Nieß

I think your patch is likely not the best fix for the problem (since I
believe it will mean that registration to gateways will never work, not
that this is something pidgin supports but it is something we shouldn't
break).

I believe I've found the real problem, which is that we use the FQDN
instead of the domain portion of the jid when we receive no from attribute
in the iq:register response.

If you look at the top of jabber.c:jabber_register_parse you will see that
if we don't get a from we use js->serverFQDN in its place, I believe that
is incorrect and we likely should be using js->user->domain there instead.

If you'd like to try that change and report on it in the ticket I would
appreciate it.

    -Etan