VV GUI

Maiku cmaiku at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 17:43:41 EST 2008

For a while now the voice and video GUI has settled to the point where
it's functional, but I'm not very satisfied with it yet. Here's the
current GUI:

http://www.mrprogrammer.net/vv-now.png

The biggest problem I have with it is that it's using a GtkPaned
between the backlog and the audio/video so it can't be automatically
resized. I've tried a few times to make it so that it will auto-size,
but it doesn't work the way I'd like it to. Ideally, I'd like the
video to remain a specific ratio (4/3 or possibly later the ratio of
the video rather than a constant). As the window is vertically resized
I want the video to expand horizontally to remain within this ratio.
As the window is horizontally resized I want the backlog to
grow/shrink to take up the extra space that the video doesn't use.
I've tried the GtkAspectFrame, but it just pads the extra space rather
than letting the backlog take it. So unless there's some extra switch
I'm unaware of, I'm not sure how to accomplish that.

Another issue that's been brought up is that the buttons at the bottom
move the input box. It has been suggested to move the buttons to be
under the video as a toolbar. I was wondering if this might also work
as a vertical button box, to the right of the input box. Maybe
something like this:

http://www.mrprogrammer.net/vv-option.png

I'm curious to hear input on these points and on the GUI overall.
Another idea to throw around would be how to handle the GUI for
multi-user voice and video conferences.

-Maiku