im.pidgin.pidgin: 04e7d54475c3ddf91ad523e3e58521bc4fa59c85

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 05:55:18 EST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008 2:18 AM, John Bailey <rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org> wrote:
> Felipe Contreras wrote:
> > Not in git, the tools are awesome:
> > http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/felipec/purple-msn-pecan.git
>
> But gitweb isn't in git itself, thus it is not in any way a relevant comparison
> of git's built-in features to monotone's built-in features.  Nor is viewmtn or
> any theoretical replacement that would make something like gitweb a part of
> monotone.  When I made my statement earlier, I was referring solely to the
> built-in tools in monotone.  I still suggest that you cannot throw a VCS at me
> whose built-in tools are more efficient for me than searching my mail.

But it _is_ part of git itself, on the website: "gitweb is now part of
the core Git distribution". You see, git is a collection of tools, not
a single one. But I'll asume by "built-in features" you mean only git
plumbing and git porcelain.

In any case, who wouldn't take into consideration the available tools
for his scm? After all scm is all about the tools, so can do what you
want quickly, without issues.

If you choose an scm that doesn't have that many tools then it's
possible that at some point you might want one, and will have no other
option but to implement it yourself. And then comes another important
aspect of the scm; the API. At that point you might find why people
aren't developing any tools for it.

That's why gitweb is important. It's developed in Perl, with no C
binding or anything like that; it's using git plumbing, following the
UNIX tradition. That simply can't be done in Monotone.

> At any rate, I can still search my commit mails folder faster than I could
> browse to such an "awesome" webpage.

It might not be important for you to have a nice mtnweb because you
have all the developing environment properly setup, but for other
people, like me, it's almost impossible to see what you are doing on
your personal repo. That's the importance of gitweb, it's not for you,
it's for external people, it's all about visibility of the development
process.

Best regards.

--
Felipe Contreras