Patch for Yahoo Messenger problems w/ HTTP proxy

Gideon N. Guillen gideong at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 10:42:59 EST 2008

PROBLEM:
When using an HTTP proxy to connect with Yahoo messenger, some features aren't
working. For example: icons of your buddies on the chat window and the buddy
list can't be displayed because pidgin/purple can't retrieve the buddy icons.

ANALYSIS:
It seems the cause of the problem is that there are some missing parts in the
proxy HTTP request. For example, if the buddy icon needs to be retrieved from
             http://someserver.yahoo.com/buffyname/icon.png

The header of HTTP request that must go through the proxy should have the
following format:

            GET http://someserver.yahoo.com/buffyname/icon.png HTTP/1.0
            Host: someserver.yahoo.com

However, from the debug window and using Wireshark, I found out that this is
what Yahoo protocol plugin sends to the HTTP proxy:

            GET /buffyname/icon.png HTTP/1.0
            Host: someserver.yahoo.com

This causes the HTTP proxy to return that the request made is invalid (403 on
our proxy server). Same thing goes for POST requests (in yahoo_alias.c).

SOLUTION:
I have attached a patch to fix send the correct HTTP request to the server. I
don't know if this is also the case with other protocols. I'm only allowed to
use Yahoo Messenger on the place where I have to use an HTTP proxy. The patch
is made against pidgin 2.3.1 source.

--
Gideon N. Guillen
gideong at gmail.com