Fwd: Re: request modification to configure.ac

Bill Fassler bill.fassler at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 10:47:33 EST 2008

Sorry for the delay.  I've included both pre and post versions of config.log.  As you can see, configure.ac simply will not build finch without my mod.

Of course, pretty much all of you are much better with GNU automake/autoconf than I.  I never used a Linux box or open source anything until about 8 months ago. So perhaps there is a more appropriate way of making a mod that satisfies all user, including embedded cross-compilers...

Regards,
Bill

Stu Tomlinson <stu at nosnilmot.com> wrote: On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 17:30 -0600, Richard Laager wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 14:20 -0800, Bill Fassler wrote:
> >         I have to swap the order of the lines and add the dependency.
> >         Hopefully the patch will make it easier to see what I mean.  I
> >         can't imagine this adversely affecting the mainstream desktop
> >         users of pidgin or finch, but I haven't verified this.
>
> From http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/autoconf/Libraries.html
>
> "The other-libraries argument should be limited to cases where it is
> desirable to test for one library in the presence of another that is not
> already in LIBS."
>
> To me, this suggests that the existing order is correct. Perhaps you're
> seeing this problem because we're appending to GNT_LIBS instead of LIBS?

I agree with Richard here. My assessment of your proposed change is:

By changing the order you are trying to link to ncurses before checking
if you found it with the 5th (I can't count) argument to
AC_CHECK_LIB(panel....

Also, by changing the order you are preventing -lncurses automatically
being added to LIBS when checking for libpanel (and forcing the issue by
using the 5th argument), but you are now including linking to libpanel
when checking for ncurses.

The only conceivable way I can think that this might make any difference
is if you have ncurses linked against libpanel. And that just seems
wrong.

Can you send a config.log from before and after your change?

Regards,

Stu.