Enable/disable logging on a contact-by-contact basis?

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Jan 2 15:22:27 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 09:54 +1100, Evgeny Potashnik wrote:
> I'm a new user of Pidgin and I've got a newbie question. I would like
> to enable logging by default, but some people object to being logged,
> so I want to disable logging for a few specific contacts. I know that
> I can uncheck Options, Enable Logging in a chat window, but Pidgin
> "forgets" that the next time I open a chat with the same contact. Is
> there any way to store this setting permanently?

I wouldn't be opposed to a patch that saves this setting on the contact
level. I would really like it to show a message in the window when the
conversation is opened if the setting differs from the default. In other
words, something like, "This conversation is [not] being logged."

We already have a similar message when logging is supposed to be on but
fails. Such a message comes up if you use my suggested work-around for
the lack of this feature: Change the permissions for the specific
contact's folders to remove write permission. Something like this would
do it (replace things in caps as appropriate):
	chmod -w ~/.purple/logs/PRPL_NAME/ACCOUNT/CONTACT

This should be really trivial and would be an excellent project for
someone new to work on. For that reason, I've CC'ed Moos Heintzen, who
was asking about this the other day. Still, feel free to work on this
yourself if you're a programmer. I can provide guidance.

Either way, please file a ticket for this at:
http://developer.pidgin.im/simpleticket

Note that you must be logged in first. I don't think you have permission
to assign tickets, so let me know the ticket number and I'll pick it up.

Richard