msn-pecan now has direct connection support (fast file transfers)

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Fri Jan 4 16:08:06 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 14:41 -0600, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> So I'll have a "won the lottery" transient status for each status I go
> into (available, away, do not disturb).

Yes. Is this a problem? We already have an algorithm to show you the
most used statuses. This is going to be the worst if you're just an MSN
user who regularly takes advantage of all the statuses they offer. If we
need to solve this (any more than the ranking code already does), I
think we could not show transient statuses that are equal to a primitive
which is shown plus the current message (which would be kept on status
changes).

So, if my message is "I won the lottery." and I'm available, there's no
point in showing a transient status which is "Away" with that message,
as I can get the same effect by clicking the global Away and leaving my
message intact.

Please note that this problem would not be unique to MSN.

So, I'm now at the following proposal:

1) Keep the status message when changing statuses (and highlight it in
   the status box for easy editing).
2) Add a checkbox to the complex status editor that says, "Keep existing
   message on status changes." This checkbox would default to checked
   and automatically uncheck if something was typed in the message box
   in that window. (Transient statuses with a message would apply their
   message, of course.)
3) Hide transient statuses that are equivalent to a primitive (which is
   already shown) plus the current message.

If we were to add some sort of global personal message, which is what I
understand you've been suggesting, we'd still have to define when it
would override the status message. If we override all status messages,
they (status messages) become all but useless. If we override none, then
why not just let people put their "personal message" in as their status
message? If we override in some cases, then we're back to needing #2
above anyway. Mark wants #1 anyway and you've just made an argument for
#3, so we don't save any effort and would be adding complexity by making
a separate personal message field.

Richard