msn-pecan now has direct connection support (fast file transfers)

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Fri Jan 4 17:14:35 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 16:00 -0600, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> I'd change 3 to 'remove transient statuses'.

Yes, let's throw away useful features to help a subset of MSN users...

> a) Separate status messages from statuses and just leave a general 'message'.

This removes the ability to do complex statuses like:

At Work
	Global Status: Available
	My Personal Account: Busy
		"I'm at work."

At Lunch
	Global Status: Away
		"I'm at lunch and should return within an hour."
	Some Protocol: At Lunch
		"I'm at lunch and should return within an hour."

Again, let's throw away useful features to help a subset of MSN users...

> b) Add a global personal message that overrides status messages.
>
> The status messages become useless, yes, but only when the personal
> message is defined.
>
> In order to make the switch to a status message faster we could have
> one of these aditionaly:
>
> b.1) Add a pm 'enabled' checkbox. So the personal message can be
> disabled, and then the status message is used.
>
> b.2) Add a custom status 'override personal message' checkbox. So,
> some custom status messages could be used.

This is equivalent to part #2 of what I proposed.

> c) Your proposal, which I think is more complicated.

Of course... It's slightly more complex because I'm covering other cases
and not just making features disappear because they conflict with
argument.

Unless you come up with something new, I'm going to try to avoid being
dragged back into this again. I'll implement my proposed changes if I
find the time and nobody beats me to it.

Richard