msn-pecan now has direct connection support (fast file transfers)

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 19:01:03 EST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 5:01 PM, Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com> wrote:
> Richard Laager wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 16:00 -0600, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> >> I'd change 3 to 'remove transient statuses'.
> >
> > Yes, let's throw away useful features to help a subset of MSN users...
> >
> >> a) Separate status messages from statuses and just leave a general 'message'.
> >
> > This removes the ability to do complex statuses like:
>
> Does anyone, frequently, use a complex status?  And if so, was it a pain
> to set it up?

I usually add a 'be right back' custom status, just so I can use that on MSN.

Considering I can use the same custom status on different accounts I
don't think it's too painful.

> > At Work
> >       Global Status: Available
> >       My Personal Account: Busy
> >               "I'm at work."
> >
> > At Lunch
> >       Global Status: Away
> >               "I'm at lunch and should return within an hour."
> >       Some Protocol: At Lunch
> >               "I'm at lunch and should return within an hour."
> >
> > Again, let's throw away useful features to help a subset of MSN users...
>
> Let's calm down, and think about how this could be accomplished as well
> as making everyone happy.  To me, who has never used or cared to use a
> complex status, dropping it for a more simple solution seems like the
> right thing to do(tm).  However, I am all for making complex statuses
> possible through other means, a preference, a plugin, whatever.  And if
> that doesn't make sense, I hope you have the mystatusbox plugin loaded,
> since that's a very similar reason as to why the status selectors for
> each account got nuked.

Just to add my personal situation:

I almost never use status messages, the only time I use status
messages is when I use a custom status, like 'be right back'.

--
Felipe Contreras